Ideas for what to do with all those pumpkin seeds!
Pumpkin Pie Bars
From: Gourmet Nutrition (Servings 16)
Base 1/2 cup quick cooking oats 1 cup whole wheat flour 1/2 cup brown sugar (organic or 1/4 splenda brown Sugar) 1/2 cup cold Butter (can use 1/2 cup applesauce)
Filling 2 cups low fat/skim milk 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt 1 can of pumpkin puree (2 cups, NOT pumpkin filling!) 5 scoops (125g) of vanilla protein powder 3 whole omega 3 eggs Splenda to taste
1. Preheat oven to 505 degrees F(190 degrees C).
2. Stir the flour, oats, brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Add butter (or applesauce) and mix with hands thoroughly until mixture is a breadcrumb like texture. Transfer ingredients to a 9×13 inch baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Press down on mixture until it covers the bottom of the pan completely. Bake for 12 minutes
3. In the meantime, bring milk to a boil with the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. As soon as it boils, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the pumpkin first and then the protein powder and eggs. If necessary, sweeten mixture to taste with Splenda.
4. Once the base has finished baking, remove from the oven and pour the pumpkin filling on top. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until pumpkin filling has set.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins
Amount Per Serving (with butter)- Calories: 160/ Total Fat: 4.8g / Total Carbs: 17g / Dietary Fiber:1.7g / Protein 11.5g
Other things to do with pumpkin seeds:
- Sprinkle on soup
- Sprinkle on salads
- Mix them into homemade granola
- Add crunch into a quinoa salad
- Hide them in post workout muffins
- Mix in with a homemade nut butter spread
- Make a healthy breakfast hash
- Make no bake energy bites
- Dress up any loaf of bread…..pumpkin bread
- Mix in pumpkiny goodness into any trail mix
- Spice up any breakfast
- Make your own seasoned seeds