Alcohol: Do not waste your training!

Do not waste your training.

-Kyle Duarte BA, Nutrition and Wellness

 

Ethanol is not an essential nutrient for the body, though it delivers 7 calories per gram, making it a high energy compound. Though this may sound good, the body actually turns to the use of alcohol for energy instead of other sources (when alcohol is present). It is absorbed in different areas in the GI tract and heads straight to the liver. Here, about 90% of the alcohol is broken down while the other 10% (more if you are binge drinking) heads to the blood stream.

 

Liver alcohol dehydrogenase (LADH) is a time limiting enzyme that oxidizes ethanol at 15 g per hour. Ethanol may not be toxic to the body itself, but the metabolic byproducts, acetate and acetaldehyde are (these by products can be 30 times more toxic than the original ethanol consumed).

 

Ethanol and its metabolic by products are shown to have extreme mind altering effects, shown in the picture above, the human brain while intoxicated is not firing like the sober brain (The highlighter green on the right picture and the reds and yellows on the left indicate how active the body is during these states). When there is alcohol present in the body, and essential vitamin, Vitamin b1 (Thiamine) is not absorbed. Without Thiamine in the body, the metabolism of glucose and lipids are altered. Also, there are various glucose-derived neurotransmitters in the brain that Thiamine helps produce. Without the recommended 1.5g per day, neural function starts to decrease.

 

Pantothenic acid is a member of the B-vitamin family, and is often referred to as vitamin B-5. Its bioactive form, coenzyme A(used in the KREB CYCLE), plays a role in many processes in the body, including metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, the production of energy, and the synthesis of red blood cells and a key neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Vitamin B5 plays a pivotal role in helping release energy from sugars, starches, and fats.

 

The body only produces hormones at night and this is when the body does all of its repairing. REM sleep or the rapid eye movement section of the sleep cycle is the most important because this is when the body is in the deepest sleep, and is also when the repairing hormones are secreted. If there is any trace of alcohol in the body when the person goes to sleep, NO hormones are secreted and the body will not repair itself. It is very unlikely that a person will even reach a REM cycle if there is alcohol as well.

 

UncategorizedB.J. Bliffert