Herbs and Spices
Written By Kyle Duarte, BS, Nutrition and Wellness
HERBS and Spices
Coach Kyles’ sleepy REM tea
- I use this tea on the nights I know I need the extra sleep, or if I end up being too wound
up right at bed time.
- Usually I would make a gallon or two of this tea at once and then heat it up as needed.
- Drink this tea 20-30 mins. Before you would usually go to bed.
- Tailor your tea for different ailments that you may have.
- 1 Large Ginger root
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Limes
- Fresh rosemary
- Peppermint leaves
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While doing that, use a potato peeler the take the
tough skin off of the ginger root and then begin to peel the fresh meat of the ginger into
the pot (you will use it all).
2. Add in the fresh rosemary (Asthma care for me), turmeric (asthma and soreness),
cinnamon (for taste and blood sugar), peppermint leaves (to relax and sooth smooth
muscles) and nutmeg (because it goes well with cinnamon) into the pot and mix well.
3. Finally add the juice of the lemons and limes to take away the bite from the ginger.
4. Cover and let sit for an hour on med-low heat.
5. ***When I check on this concoction I Take a deep breath of the steam, which always
clears my airways/lungs.
6. When pouring into my gallon jugs or tea jug, I use cheese cloth to cover the pot so I only
capture the juices (my preference).
7. When re heating this tea make sure that you put it into a small coffee cup and microwave for desired temperature and slowly sip until passed out.
HERBS and Spices
It is amazing that spices, oils, and herbs are able to keep the body in order, maintain
bodily functions, or help in repairing the body. The most beneficial remedy I have ever come a
crossed is activated charcoal. This carbon molecule is able to soak up poison out of the most
dangerous bites, it can purify water in the worst conditions and smelly air, and even whiten your
teeth. Activated charcoal is what doctors use when people try to kill themselves with toxic pills
or poison and is used by Smirnoff, to purify their vodka (idk how proud I am of this one).
Circumin, is a small substance found in turmeric, which alleviates the delayed onset of
Turmeric, rosemary, and peppermint are wonderful for asthma or respiratory diseases.
Garlic is one of the best anti-inflammatory remedies.
o After rugby matches, a stressful injury, or a long deep tissue massage I use one
bulb of garlic finely minced in four ounces of extremely hot water. Allow the
garlic to break down just a few minutes, add two ice cubes into it to chill and
drink the mixture (I apologize for the spouses that have to deal with this). The
next morning I always feel like a champion!
AS you can see from the following above that it is important to use spices when cooking.
Bland food is never good to eat and the palate gets very bored of that repetition. “spice” up
your kitchen and meals with some different herbs that not only taste great, but give you added
benefits. Cooking is meant to be fun, and like a science experiment, but with the family or